[TR] Soldering

don spence dkspence at telus.net
Sun Mar 4 13:56:05 MST 2012

 1: use an electrical solder such as KESTER 44 resin core.
2: Use a rosin paste flux

An iron with some mass ( hot the huge one you use to solder rain gutters)is
better than a gun.

To do bullets, get a solid piece of wood and drill holes slightly larger in
diameter and shorter in depth than the bullet.

Prepare the end of the wire by stripping the insulation. Put the wire in a
vice or clamp so you have two hands to work with.
Next you "tin" the wire.
Apply some flux to the wire and melt a bit of solder on the face of the iron.
(use a wedge tip).
Apply the iron to the wire. When  the wire is hot enough the solder will flow
into the multistrand. Add solsder as necessary to fill the end of the wire.

Now turn your attention to the bullet.
Put the bullet in the hole and put a small quantity of flux in it.
Apply the iron to the side of the bullet (with flux in it). As it heats up
feed the solder strand into the bullet so it melts and fills the cup. While it
is still molten, place the tinned wire into the bullet. Keep the iron on it
until the solder in the wire melts then remove the iron and let it cool to a
solid joint.

Easy peasy.