[TR] soldering

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 4 11:25:04 MST 2012

> After all, I know that I must have enjoyed chewing on
> electrical solder
> joints as a three year old.

Actually, I believe they are more concerned about the result of electronic
devices containing lead being put in landfills; where the lead can leach
into the water supply.

I forget which authority it is offhand, but there are some countries where
it will soon be illegal to sell products containing lead solder.  This has
been a major headache for the entire electronics industry; and explains the
availability of lead-free electronic solder.  The two kinds of solder are
not compatible with each other; and most electronic components (ICs,
resistors, capacitors, etc) are supplied with solder on the connection
points.

Fortunately, the US has taken a different direction (keep the electronics
out of the landfills) for now, and so one can still buy lead solder here.

FWIW Autism-type disorders have risen sharply in the US and the rest of the
world in recent decades.  How much, if any, of that is being caused by
mothers having lead in their bodies is not yet known; although there has
been a strong correlation shown, it is not clear that it is
cause-and-effect.  But it seems unlikely to be purely coincidence.  I'm not
suggesting you should go out and hug a tree, only that there may be some
legitimate reason for concern here.

-- Randall