[TR] soldering

John Young jeyoung_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 21:24:56 MST 2012

The solder for electrical joints is not like the solder for other things. It
has a rosin core. Most others are either solid, to be used with an externally
applied flux, or acid core

You can buy rosin core most places that sell
solder. I use a two speed Weller gun and rosin core solder from Radio Shack if
I'm only doing a few joints,
otherwise I use a very small iron that stays hot
as long as its plugged in. You don't have to wait for it to heat each time.
The solder I have is about 1/16 in. in diameter. I find that it takes the gun
a few seconds to heat enough to melt the solder. When the solder melts against
the gun tip,
let it run onto the joint so that it will help conduct heat to
the joint. To put a connector on the end of a no 22 wire only takes about 1
minute. Of course, if the piece is
large, it will conduct the heat away from
the joint and will take longer to get it up to temperature. I have had to use
an Ox-Acetelene tourch to solder large copper pieces
There are other, higher
melting solders such as silver solder which melts almost at the melting point
of brass. my solder is a 60/40 mix of lead and tin. Pure tin solder has a
 somewhat higher melting point so would be a little slower to melt, but not
very much.

John Young NASS# 528
Indiana
'78 Spitfire
'66 Spitfire
'59
TR3A (being repaired after 37 yrs ownership)