[TR] soldering

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 21:00:34 MST 2012

On one of the recent posts I read where someone mentioned not having good luck
soldering electrical connections.

I have been having an awful time soldering.
My soldering iron is a Weller 140/100 watt and the solder I'm using is the
same solder I used for soldering plumbing joints.

It takes a long time to get
the solder to melt even if i place the soldering gun directly on the solder
itself.  And its basically impossible to get the joint hot enough to melt the
solder as the directions tell you to do.  It's been the most frustrating thing
I've had to try to learn.

Do I need a larger soldering iron or do I need
different solder?  Is there a solder specifically for electrical connections
in cars that has a lower melting point?

thanks!

gary n.