[TR] TR3 Tonneaus

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:18:38 MDT 2012

Dave -

The top front corner has an elastic loop that hooks over the outer most
tenax fastener along the top of the windscreen.  The corner of the top then
goes on that fastener (as usual) and thus holds the loop in place.

As shown in the prior photos there are a pair of straps that hook around
the top bows and are secured with velcro -- this lets them be adjusted to
make things snug.  The rest of the fasteners are just the existing
lift-the-dots on the door & one on the dash.  There is a flap along the
rear edge that captures the vertical edge of the top.  There are also some
rare earth magnets sewn in the lower rear flap.

Something has to be undone to exit the car and done up after entering.  The
easiest things are the LTDs on the door as the window zips open (zipper on
each side and velcro along the top.   The best part is that the pair of
'curtains' fit in a single Harbor Freight 15" bag.
I have the stock curtains and, of course, would always pack them in the
boot for long trips even when there was 'almost' no chance of rain.  They
take a lot of space in the bottom of the boot and you have to be so careful
with what you put in on top of them.

A friend who does a lot of long distance travel in his TR3A (and is pretty
crafty with an industrial sewing machine) had made a set of the soft
curtains for his car.  I admired his work and he offered to make a pair for
me.

I still haven't had the chance to try them in the rain but at least they
greatly simplify packing for road trips.

Oh, I did ask if he would ever make them for sale -- alas, no.  He said if
he wanted to work he wouldn't have retired.  He is a retired rocket
engineer and has driven and restored TRs for many decades.  Also restores
old TR radios & skydives.  Only guy I know with a mountain unicycle.
Geo

Since attachments are stripped... links to the rest of the pix:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/DS1.jpg
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Tenax.jpg
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/PSideView-1.jpg
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Bagged-1.jpg

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Dave <dave at ranteer.com> wrote:

> I would like to know more as well.  I see the front and rear zippers; what
> is on the top and bottom?
>

> http://i1214.photobucket.com/**albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/**Curtains.jpg<http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Curtains.jpg>
>
> http://i1214.photobucket.com/**albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/**Inside.jpg<http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Inside.jpg>

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of DS 1.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Bagged.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Tenax.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of P Side View.JPG]