[TR] Lug nut torque spec - TR4

brad.kahler at 141.com brad.kahler at 141.com
Wed Jun 20 10:48:47 MDT 2012

Listers,

Ok, I've finally got new wheels AND tires (195/65R15 Kumho) for my
4.  The wheels are the low priced Mini-Lite replicas that are on the market.
They come with chrome tapered style lug nuts.

Since these are not steel
wheels I'm not sure what torque spec would be appropriate.

I know on Susan's
spitfire race car where we use 7/16" wheel studs and the same style of lug nut
I have been using 65 to 70 ft lbs of torque.  I'm not sure if that torque is
appropriate or not, especially for a street car.  I've never seen any
documentation supporting or refuting that that torque setting.

I know after a
20 minute session its not unusual to have to re-torque the lug nuts because
they have loosened up a bit.  This will happen over a number of sessions to
where eventually they don't require re-torquing.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Brad
1963 TR4