[TR] TR4 steering rack rebuild

brad.kahler at 141.com brad.kahler at 141.com
Thu Jun 14 12:51:04 MDT 2012

Listers,

I was noticing some slop in my steering rack so last night I pulled
it from the car to check it out.  What I found was the ball sockets had
upwards of .035" clearance each.  It was noticeable in that you could push the
tie rod towards the and feel the spring give that is located inside the ball
joint.

I dismantled the ball joints, removed some shims and reassembled until
there was just a very small noticeable inward movement.  Maybe .005" total per
ball joint.

I guess my question is, is this to tight?  The ball moves
smoothly with no binding.

Comments?

Brad
1963 TR4