[TR] Anyone done a T5 gearbox swap?

Brian Induni 308gtsi at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 13 20:06:34 MDT 2012

Seeing the discussion about gearbox swaps, I'm thinking of picking up a T5
for a future project. The problem I see is this particular gearbox has
ratios of (1-5) 2.95 1.94 1.34 1 0.73. Does anyone see an issue with the
first gear being so low? This box came out of a V8 Camaro so it had a bit
more engine umph.

My long term plan is to pick up a Stag, use a Buick 215 with a T5 while I
rebuild the stock Stag V8. I like originality, so I'd want to have the
ability to put the Stag back to the way it was. Of course, finding a 215 and
T5 is lot easier than finding a Stag... but that's another story.

Thoughts on the T5 in any of the TR line would be appreciated.

Brian
'66 AH Sprite
'63 MGB
Looking for a Stag!