[TR] New Engine Break-In

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 17:14:33 MDT 2012

For those like me with suspicious minds, the engine rebuild on my TR3A has been going too well.  I therefore expect planets to collide, sheep to molest voles, and my wife's mother to praise me excessively.

In short, Armageddon.

But no.  Quite the opposite.  At least so far.  Last week I finished putting the engine back in the car, bolting on all the little danglies, and having it inspected by my trusted master mechanic, who actually owned one of these back in the day, but nevertheless managed to bugger up the steering with a too-loose adjustment.  Why is it people who pick up your guitar insist on tuning it even though you and your electronic tuner had it spot-on????

Adjusted the valves again.  Drove the car to work (45 minutes each way) twice.  Lost a little power on the trip home the second day.  Found the vacuum advance was loose.

So...about the vacuum advance attachment under the carb.  Am I the only one that has a hard time keeping this tight?  I've resorted to JB weld this evening to fill the air leak around the tiny copper pipe.

Anybody have a better solution for this one?

...before the next white full moon urinates on Tanzania?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire