[TR] Oils and the Sump Drain Plug Magnet

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 06:19:30 MDT 2012

Am conducting a little experiment.

Just finished engine rebuild on my TR3.  Tried to start it, discovered I was a tooth off with the ignition, fixed that, and then it started right up.  Ran smooth and strong with no leaks for 25 minutes before I shut it down.  Made some water pump noise for a few minutes, then that quieted right out.  Smokes more than I remember from last time, but I expect that will sort out as the rings set.

The experiment is, I added a few wads of magnets to the outside of the sump, near the magnetic drain plug, to see if it doesn't capture more metal shavings common with rebuilds.  I don't see why it wouldn't complement the already magnetic plug.

But it raised the question.  While I know the zinc in the Valvoline Racing Oil I'm running for break-in is not magnetic.  ...But...are there other elements in the oil that would be sucked from the chemical composition by a strong magnetic field?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire