[TR] Trans shifting issues - links to gear pics - how bad is too bad?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 22:17:29 MDT 2012

> So for those of you who have trans rebuild experience - does
> the wear on
> the matching engagement teeth look like it would be enough to cause
> shifting difficulties?

My experience with gearbox rebuilds is (very) limited to the TR3/TR6 units;
but those parts look OK to me.  Given that you are having problems, I might
roughen up the cone surface just a bit (break the glaze).

> BTW, I did all the bushing / spacer feeler checks last time
> and will be
> doing them once again.

You didn't mention checking the detent force in the shift hub.  Very
important (it is what applies force to the synchro rings during the shift)
and almost always too low.

-- Randall