[TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

Jim Wallace grandfatherjim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:02:22 MDT 2012

Hi Malcolm,
I have a glowing recommendation. I used a Crane electronic ignition in my
72 VW camper and am very pleased. I think it's the Fireball XR-700.
Instead of  points, this system uses a disc with slits in it that slides
onto the distributor cam. There is an LED and sensor, and the disc rotates
between them, so the coil fires whenever the beam of light goes through a
slit.
A bit hard to describe but simple when you see it.
A major benefit is that it does not care about distributor shaft wobble,
which I had. I also had a scored cam, which wore down my points quickly,
and now this is not an issue. Your centrifugal and vacuum advances still do
have to work properly.
My idle is now rock steady and the timing light gives a very narrow beam at
all speeds.
Also - there have been enough reports about failing Pertronix units
(magnets falling out) that I wanted to stay away from those.
Jim