[TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:18:04 MDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Malcolm <malcolm at ipatch.ca> wrote:

> My big question is: how much should I be able to rotate the distributor
> rotor?  A little?  A lot?  15 degrees?  30?  Should it snap back to a
> position at rest or just flop around?

As I recall the rotor should move about 100 on a correct TR4 distributor.
When you move it I think you want it to snap back sharpish... if it is
reluctant or 'flopping around' then it needs attention.

You might look at the number on the distributor body as through the years
it may have been swapped with something slightly different from original --
I'm thinking it would have been 40735A or 40795A.

In any case, it is pretty simple to get the distributor on the bench and
diassembled to the point of examining, cleaning and lightly lubing the
weights and springs.  There will probably be one 'thin' spring that sits
secure on the posts and one 'fat' spring that fits loosely (because it
doesn't come into play until advance has operated aways).

Geo