[TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 16 06:20:43 MDT 2012

Malcolm,

When I see/hear backfiring, I always think timing. If you static time
your distro, then set 4 degrees BTDC you should be ok for most driving.

For me on my 3 and 4, I do the same thing but then use the micro
adjustment to fine tune so I don't get any pre ignition and the engine
pulls good in all gears.

If you think your distributor is worn out, then get it rebuilt. I had
mine done on my 6 by Jeff Alexander. He does a good job and the price is
good.

No experience here with electronic ignition. I go with  stock on my 3,4
and 6 and are very satisfied.

I have rarely had problems with spark but the few I have had are bad
points, broken connection on the low tension lead inside the distributor
and a bad distributor cap.

Not sure on the rotation degrees on the distributor rotor, but I am
guessing at least 5 degrees each way, (maybe a bit more) and it should
snap back.

Doubt the filters are the problem. But do check the oil level in the
dashpots.

Bob