[TR] separating trans & OD

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 13 11:03:57 MDT 2012

> I am about to separate the trans and OD units in order to be able to
> dismantle the trans in order to refresh.  Are there any concerns /
> gotchas
> that I need to be concerned about?

Make sure it was not under power the last time it was shifted out of OD.  If
you aren't sure, it would probably be wise to spin it up with a drill motor
or whatever, enough to shift in and out of OD.  Then of course repeat the
process after you stop turning it, to be sure all the pressure is bled off.
Otherwise, the direct drive clutch may be bound up with the splines hard
enough to make it difficult or impossible to disassemble.

> I know that I need to be carefull on reassembly

There are some really good articles on the Buckeye Triumphs site
http://goo.gl/4BtfD
and also on the VTR site
http://goo.gl/yIdTa

I would suggest downloading, reading and understanding them before you
start.

-- Randall