[TR] TR4 Horns not working. I need a suggestion

Daehler, William F william.f.daehler at delphi.com
Wed Jul 11 13:29:28 MDT 2012

My horns have stopped working.   They had working fine when I put in the new
wiring harness five years ago.

I started troubleshooting last night, and found that I do have 12 V going to
the one terminal to each of the horns. Unfortunately I have 12 V going to the
other terminals too!

There must be a short somewhere, but my battery doesn't go dead all the time.
That's fine.

I did a little more experimenting.  I disconnected one of the leads from the
horn (the purple and black wire that is supposed to be grounded).  Then I took
a jumper wire with alligator clips, and ran it from the free tab on the horn
to a  true ground.  The horn worked fine! Toot, toot !  I repeated this on the
other horn, it worked too. Toot, toot.

Then I took off the horn switch on the steering wheel, measured the incoming
voltage, checked that the metal steering column was Zero volts, and checked
the operation of the switch, nothing wrong there.

It seems like the ground path is going hot, but the battery isn't going flat.
Puzzling.

Any suggestions?

Will Daehler
63 TR4  Powder Blue
*********** Note: If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.