[TR] First run, big smie and question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 7 15:40:46 MDT 2012

> and driving at
> 2000rpm around 40mph I have 50psi, how do these figures seem
> for a rebuilt
> engine?

I hate to say this, knowing how much effort you have put into your TR2, but
I am going to anyway.  Those numbers seem somewhat low to me, for a freshly
rebuilt engine.  Not low enough to require immediate action, but low enough
to indicate that something is not as it should be.  Those are about the
numbers I see with my TR3, and I know it has significantly worn main and cam
bearings.  (They were lower before I replaced the rod bearings, which were
worn into the copper backing.  My plan is to drive it for a few years, until
I can rebuild a spare engine for it.)

The very first thing I would check is the accuracy of the gauge.  It's not
at all uncommon for them to lose accuracy over the years.

Just curious, are you still running the original bypass type oil filter?

-- Randall