[TR] Off topic electrical question

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Fri Jan 20 16:19:27 MST 2012

If your battery charger is of the type that tapers the charge rate as the
battery reaches full charge, which most do, I see no problem with charging
the battery in place. After all, that's what the generator/alternator does.
But, if you have a charger that produces a constant current, despite voltage
of the battery, then I would be careful. 16 VDC won't help vehicles with
onboard computers, electric clocks and other expensive, voltage sensitive
equipment. Plus, it will boil the battery electrolyte.  Whenever I use a
large size charger on tractor batteries, I usually monitor the voltage and
change the charge position from high to low as the battery reaches 14 volts,
or so. The only advantage of disconnecting the battery (remember, disconnect
the ground first and connect it last) is that it gives you a chance to clean
it down and clean the battery compartment.

Alex Thomson