[TR] TR4A - First breakdown today

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Thu Jan 19 15:42:59 MST 2012

Listers,

Well, it took 1100 miles, but the car experienced its first breakdown while
driving, just 1.5 hours ago.
I took it to the office, and it ran terrific.
Went to head to my second stop, and it would not start.  Just the click of the
relay.. nothing else.
No worries, I roll started the car and drove to my second stop, which happens
to be a British Garage..

Same problem happened there.  The mechanic did a little troubleshooting and
determined I have a short in the starter itself.
So, we undid the starter cable at the solenoid, roll-started the car, and I'm
on my way home.
Car is running awesome..

On the drive I got behind some slow traffic.  I turned off the OD switch, put
my foot back on the gas, and the car would not accelerate.
It reacted to the throttle, but just barely.  No matter how much throttle I
gave it, it just wouldn't rev.
It went from terrific, to crap, instantaneously.
If I remember correctly, the ignition warning light was on as well.

Quick call to Hagerty Roadside Assistance, and the car is safe at home.

My thoughts are that the two issues are related; that my lack of power is
somehow electrical, not mechanical.
I believe this because it happened so soon after the starter was found to be
shorted.

I'm thinking the starter short introduced some gremlin in the ignition system,
which hit when I turned off the OD.

Also, what's some opinion on rebuilding the starter, versus replacing?
Does anyone have any experience with the fancy "gear reduction starter"?

Thank in advance.  Starting to feel like a British car owner now!!

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO