[TR] TR4A - Fuel Level Inaccurate

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Mon Jan 16 12:16:50 MST 2012

Listers,

Just a little over 1000 miles on the car.  Having lots of fun driving and
working on my "punch list".
One of the items on this list is that my fuel level is being reported
inaccurately.

I am currently ruling out the gauge itself, having had it reconditioned by
Nisonger as part of the restoration project.
I suspect the issue lies with the brand new, Moss-bought sending unit.
I know the sending unit is basically an electric potentiometer, so the gauge
is reacting to the electric "strength" it gets from the sender, as the
potential changes with the float arms movement.

My troubleshooting idea is to hook up a multimeter and take measurements at
both the sending unit and at the gauge, while forcing the float lever all the
way "full" and "empty".
I should see identical amounts of voltage from both places.  If I don't, then
I know something is happening in the wires connecting the two.

If the measurements are the same, then I should check the "empty" and "full"
voltages against some known standard, to determine if the sending unit is
working correctly.
If it is with the standard, then my gauge is shot.  If its not, then the
sending unit is bad.

If the gauge is off, it going back to Nisonger to get it right.
If its the sending unit, then I guess I'll have to replace it.

Does this troubleshooting logic sound correct?
Is there something else I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins