[TR] TR250 front diff seal

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 11:00:16 MST 2012

> Any thoughts on replacing the TR250 diff seal? Not so much
> the R&R of the seal
> itself, but of replacing the flange and tightening the nut. Is there a
> crushable spacer like the later TR6?B  Is it a matter of
> returning the nut to
> its original position or one of torquing to some value?

Assuming you mean the input shaft (pinion) seal, and you have an original
TR250 differential, then the correct procedure is to torque the nut to 105
(+/- 15) ftlb.

Unfortunately, I believe the later gear sets will fit in the earlier
housings and I don't know any way to tell if someone has put in a
"collapsible spacer" set other than to tear the diff apart.  So the "safer"
way is to assume it's a collapsible spacer, mark the nut position relative
to the shaft before you loosen it, and then return it to the same position.

-- Randall