[TR] TR4 Question

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 03:54:28 MST 2012

Hi Tim!
After having read this last TRIUMPH Digest, I'd say that you have been
given VERY GOOD advice to start with. I'm sure you'll no longer have a
problem.

Now if you do want to spend some money, then I would suggest
installing the thickest battery cables you can purchase.

I installed a #0 GA
on the ground of the battery. I also purchased a #1GA positive cable for the
battery (that was the thickest cable the store had for the length I wanted),
but I purchased in about 8" to long on purpose. I also purchased two Cu ends
that had the hole in them. I cut the cable to the proper length to go from the
battery to the solenoid & installed one of the purchased ends on it. The
leftover piece of cable received the other end that I had purchased. This
shorter cable (about 8") was then as the ground strap from the engine to the
frame. By installing thicker cables, you reduce the resistance for the
electricity flow.
NOTE: You may be able to get thicker cables if you go to
a welding supply store, but then you'll have to spend more for the ends & the
contacts many not be as good as the ones that a factory installed.

Also,
while you're going through the trouble of cleaning the wire ends, then put a
little grease (I used that die-electric stuff) on before assembling. The other
thing that I did on the ground cable ends that attach to the sheet metal, was
to install an external star washer between the cable & the sheet metal. My
thinking was to have the 'start' portion dig into the sheet metal for better
assurance of a good ground. All of these are just suggestions.
-Cosmo Kramer