[TR] Shade tree Timing

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Sun Jan 15 15:49:29 MST 2012

On 1/14/2012 6:17 PM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> Bill,
> I came across this link awhile back regarding locating TDC on an
> assembled engine and then deterimining where to put the timing mark.
>
> http://tr4triumph.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&max-results=6

I've got to wonder just how accurate a suction method would actually be.

Now, using the same spark plug adapter and some Marvel Mystery oil in a
tube suspended above the cylinder, you could simply look for the point
where the oil rose highest in the tube.  Use  MityVac or similar to
remove the oil after you've completed your measuring.

Of course, It's going to smoke a bit when you put it all back together
and crank it...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.