[TR] VIN vs Commission number vs Engine number

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 06:10:13 MST 2012

Hi, Chris
I am in no way promoting the services of BMIHT at Gaydon, UK - but
your dilemma is one where I think BMIHT can help you. When I worked there some
10 or so years back, I saw many examples of enthusiasts faced with your
problem and there are probably ways that BMIHT can provide useful input. Over
the years, the build records of The Standard Motor Company varied in terms of
information appearing on 'production tallies' and later versions were often
less informative than earlier ones, though the reverse applied as well.
My
recommendation is you ask BMIHT to provide you with either a Heritage
Certificate (or an alternative document  as a statement) which gives
commission number, engine number, body number, gearbox and axle numbers and
anything else that can be found relating to your car. As it's been in the same
family since new - and you could probably attest to this with a notarised
statement for NC DMV, BMIHT can 'sort' a car's details on an engine number to
validate an commission number - though this does take longer to do. There is
plenty of evidence down the last 60 odd years (from info coming from
enthusiasts) that one or more numbers could well have been misread or badly
handwritten when the car was first titled.
Be aware too, that Standard Motor
Co rarely (if ever) had an engine number matching a commission number and also
be aware that cars were not necessarily built in sequential commission number
sequence as so many falsely believe to be the case.
Good luck

Jonmac
http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk/