[TR] VIN vs Commission number vs Engine number

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:03:12 MST 2012

I have good news I think.

I finally got the TR2 to the point where I felt I could drive it by DMV for
it's inspection that NC requires for older cars prior to giving you the
title.  Thought this was just a no-brainer.

So in final preparation, I decided to make an attempt to clean the 5 or 6
layers of paint and gunk and grime from the Commision number plate that was
totally not legible - and  it did not match the registration and expected
Title number.

I had a suggestion to simply make a new commission plate with the number I
had - but others said absolutely not - NC is not sympathetic at all to
tampering with a Commission plate - big trouble like 20 years trouble
according to one inspector.

So - I was going to have to go down the lost title route - until another
friend said - just try to find the number anywhere on the car - inside or
out it may lead to a simpler updating of the VIN number -  I scraped off
some of the gunk from the engine block and found my number on the engine.

After some googling it seems that it was common practice in some states in
the 50's and earlier  to use the engine number vs body number for title
assignment purposes.   I think I'm going to be ok. It would be difficult to
prove without a bunch of title searches but the car has been in the family
since it was purchased - so that helps my blood pressure as well.

Anyone have any additional advice here in terms of preparation for my trip
to DMV for inspection?

Thanks  Chris