[TR] Recommendation for an impact wrench

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Sat Jan 7 14:46:31 MST 2012

On our Triumphs (TR6 and GT6) - probably nowhere except when I was
disassembling a parts car. On my farm equipment - lots of places. Wheel
clamp bolts (3/4" bolt size) that haven't been removed for years are always
an excellent candidate. Also, impacts are especially handy when there just
isn't the room to get a good grip with a breaker bar. Many fasteners can be
buried deep in a tunnel like area with no arm room for leverage. With some
experience, one can get a pretty good idea of what a particular impact
wrench will do for final tightening torque. Tightening wheel bolts on a hay
wagon can be a good application after some experimenting. Tightening wheel
bolts (or nuts) on fancy (expensive) aluminum rims that can deform easily is
a different issue. Your question is not a stupid one!

Alex Thomson