[TR] Recommendation for an impact wrench

hdrider570 at att.net hdrider570 at att.net
Sat Jan 7 14:06:29 MST 2012

I agree with Randal but I also use impact guns to remove pulleys from
generators and water pumps.  I have an impact ratchet handle which is
great for long threads and very handy when performing tasks such engine
removal/disassemble such as when you are undoing lots of fasteners such
as oil pans and timing covers.  I am not so fond of them for assembly as
it is far to easy to over torque things.  If I do use it it usually is
to just run the nuts down and then torque by hand.

I recently purchased one of the higher torque Harbor Freight 1/2"
"earthquake" guns and am very happy with it.  I had been using an IR one
for about 35 years but it is very down on power now as it is so worn.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA