[TR] chrome wire wheels

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 1 17:51:38 MST 2012

> Is there a procedure or
> process for renewing chrome wheels for the long term other
> than rechroming that might improve the look? Steel wool,
> polish, clear coat, etc? Appreciate it

Fred Thomas suggested a PPG product known as DX579 Metal prep.  Dilute with
about 4 parts clean water and apply with a sprayer, then scrub the rust away
with brass (or bronze) wool.  I was surprised at how well it works.

Before:
http://goo.gl/m8GM7

After 10-15 seconds of work:
http://goo.gl/vQ8VY

(Sorry, I didn't take a final photo.  Decided to use another cover instead.)

DX579 contains phosphoric acid (similar to naval jelly) which should help
reduce future rust.  However it certainly wouldn't hurt give it a good coat
of wax as well.

The DX579 was a little hard to find but I eventually found a local
automotive paint store that had it.  The fine bronze wool came from MMC.
According to Fred, the diluted DX579 won't harm paint as long as you keep it
wet until you can flush it away.  But don't let it dry on the paint.
Probably best to wear gloves and eye protection (but I didn't).

-- Randall