[TR] Overheatng

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Aug 24 15:41:25 MDT 2012

History.  Have about three thousand miles on the engine rebuild.  When I started it the first time, there was intense squealing for a few seconds that then went way.  I figured it for a dry water pump.

Squealing has returned.  Sounds for all the world like a fan belt issue or a bad bearing on either the water pump or alternator.  Tried the stethoscope, couldn't isolate, so swapped out the water pump.  Squeal persisted.  Stethoscoped the alternator again, couldn't isolate, but then accidently dropped cold water on the alternator and the sound stopped abruptly.  What was THAT all about??

So, bought a new GM alternator, adapted it to fit, put the old wide-belt pulley on it, and reinstalled.  Same squeal as before.

But in the past week, the engine is overheating at idle and in hot weather. I'm running the belt looser than I usually do, but watching the action, the pulleys all seem to be turning, but am wondering if they're not going as fast as they should and the squealing is slippage?

Will try belt dressing to see if that changes anything.

Question:  If I was spinning a crank bearing, either main or rod, it would make much different noises than a belt squeal, right?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire