[TR] TR3 Gauges

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 03:42:25 MDT 2012

   FWIW, thwe magnolia gauges look very nice and certainly 'different.' But
a word of warning? A good friend in the who regularly campaigned his TR6 on
fundraising events for non-profits found a major disadvantage. He'd had his
gauges re-done in magnolia and they were fine for daylight. All Night driving
stints were a whole different ballgame. Even with the rheostat turned down
low, the speedo and rev counter were still too bright while the central
auxiliaries were too dim. I was with him on one of these events and had my
turn at the wheel. There was just too much light below my required field of
vision, so I turned them off - switching on periodically to check oil pressure
and engine temp. We agreed that two rheostats was the answer for auxiliaries
and mains - but a pain to do.
Dave sold his car for another 6 about a year and
a half back and chose to clean all his instruments with LED's and new
transparents. As many on this list have already done that with excellent
results, I can confirm (for my needs at least) that overhauled 'original'
instruments are much more preferable - and let's face it, upgrading to
magnolia and then finding its not what you thought it was going to be, is an
expensive exercise. But it's your car ................

Jonmac