[TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:24:41 MDT 2012

I have what I believe is one of the original TR knobs as well as the
modern rubber version.  The two are generally the same, but different
in almost every detail.  The profile of the taper is "steeper" -- more
conical -- on the modern knob.  The size and typeface for the shift
pattern is different, too.  The modern one is definitely a harder
rubber.  The original looks more like some composition of a filler and
a rubbery binder, possibly painted black.  I've had it for 30 plus
years, given to me by one of the founders of what's now the TRA.

There may be early and late versions of the original TR2-3B knobs --
smarter folk than I will have to chime in here.

My original sits on the shelves in my shop.  The modern is on the car.
 It's plenty good enough to use, and fits a lot better than an AMCO
knob.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L