[TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 10 12:42:31 MDT 2012

Hello,

I have had an original TR3 shift knob that was cracked and showing its
age. But I liked the feel of the narrow rubber knob than the after
market wooden knobs.

So I wanted to restore it to its original condition.

I first tried coating it with clear silicone caulking but it soon
started to peal and look worse than the original dried out knob.

So I tried a product called Plasti Dip. It is used to coat tool handles
for better grip.

First I sanded the old knob to smooth it out. Then I cleaned it with
lacquer thinner to remove all grease etc.

Then I dipped it into the can of dip and then stood it up on a stick in
a vise for 1 hour. Repeated for a final coat and I have to say it looks
like brand new!

Feels great in the hand as I am sure the original ones did way back when.

A can of this dip was about 6.75 at Lowes.

Bob