[TR] carpet installation question

Peter Ryner pryner at verizon.net
Sun Apr 22 09:05:47 MDT 2012

John,
On all of the TR-3s I've seen, all had the carpet glued directly to to
metal, no backing boards or screws were used.
I used spray contact cement to hold the carpet onto the metal.  Need the
heavy duty stuff like 3M high strength 90.  You can also brush normal
contact cement on both sides.  The brush on stuff comes in a water base
formula which is much less fumes issue, but I've found that it doesn't hold
quite as well.  Also make sure everything is clean.  The glue will not
adhere to dirt or dust.  If you have fresh paint on the metal surface it is
best to let it cure completely before glueing the carpet in place.  The
solvents in the glue will lift fresh paint.
Pete