[TR] more harness

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Apr 20 06:04:01 MDT 2012

The trick I used when I checked out the TR3 is I connected each circuit to
the battery via a spare headlamp.  If it is a short to ground the bulb will
shine with full brightness.  If it is working properly the bulb will glow a
little, a fair amount or not at all depending on the load.

Leave out the fuses and connect the lead from the bulb to the load side of
the fuse block and start testing away.  If you get a full bright headlamp
start disconnecting lights or other loads.  But you can check your brake and
tail lights just fine.  Also the other lights on the car.  For best results
check one circuit at a time.

If you have a volt meter (which I highly recommend if you are going to work
on any electrical system) you can check the voltage on the circuit.  If it
is anything greater than a volt you won't burn up the harness when connect
it up with the fuse.

Wiper motor: when I checked my wiper motor it moved briefly and stalled and
the headlamp went bright.  But the fact that the motor moved at all told me
it was OK but a voltmeter reading would have confirmed this if there was
any doubt.

Dave