[TR] Torque Wrench

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Mon Apr 16 07:05:41 MDT 2012

Terry - You could try a tool dealer or a NAPA store and see what they say.
Of course, you might get a deer-in-the headlights-look. I remember a device
that a local tech school had assembled for testing torque wrenches. They had
mounted a 2' diameter belt pulley on a low friction hub with a 1/2" or 5/8"
nut welded to the center of the hub. The hub spindle is horizontal so the
pulley is vertical.  A flexible cable was attached to the pulley with a hook
on the end of it for weights, similar to a balance beam type of scale you
would see in a feed and grain store. By adding weight to the hook at the end
of the cable, you could simulate, quite accurately, any given torque.
Several limitations: the effective diameter of the pulley must be 24" where
the cable is attached, the cable must hang vertically (gravity will take
care of that), and the torque wrench must be at a right angle to the
vertical cable. I think the way they used it was to set the wrench to a
value, hold the wrench in place on the pulley hub, and then add the
prescribed weight until the wrench either clicks or indicates the designated
torque.
Alex Thomson