[TR] greenish oil now ZDDP, dripping chambers

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 13:50:46 MDT 2011

> The rubber stuff, I think, throughout the
> carbs has been replaced.  I wonder if two rubber washers along with the
> steel washer under the head of the float chamber attachment bolt might
> stop it from dripping gas?

I have found the life of those two rubber "top hat" seals (where the later
H6 float bowls attach to the carb body) to be highly variable.  Sometimes
they last many years, sometimes they start leaking after just a few months.
And of course they get old whether you drive the car or not.  Some appear to
not be compatible with ethanol/MTBE either (meaning they start to rot as
soon as they come in contact with E10).

Sometimes, adding an extra washer (to get more compression on the "top
hats") will help them seal for a short time.  But I've never had it last for
long.  So my feeling is that, if you are going to remove the bolt anyway,
you might as well install new seals.

TRF sells just the seals, P/N SUAUC1534.  Moss is apparently selling
improved Viton seals, P/N 370-021.  I might have to try those, next time
mine start leaking.

I'm a big fan of Hylomar, but it doesn't seem to help in this particular
case.

-- Randall