[TR] Greenish oil now 50weight?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 11:24:05 MDT 2011

> 50 weight is the recommended viscosity for our motors.

By who?  The factory manuals said 40 weight or 20W40 (Practical Hints 6th
ed), only if temperatures were above 70F.

> straight 50 weight is the old oil with all the nasty bits in it, like
> ZDDP.

Not necessarily.  Viscosity grade says nothing about the additive package.
You can buy non-detergent 50 weight (which also lacks the other additives,
like ZDDP).
http://www.lubriplate.com/products/auto-and-marine/non-detergent-motor-oil.h
tml

> no problems with it, but i have only been running it for 2 years-5 oil
> changes-6 or 7 thousand miles.

Of course, it might be Paul lives where it is somewhat cooler than Temecula
(projected high today 94F).

-- Randall