[TR] 65 mph

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 19:08:06 MDT 2011

> Assuming your 205/55x15 tires are the same 23.9" in diameter that I
> found on Tire Rack's website, and a 22% reduction in overdrive, 122
> mph.

Not quite, as the 23.9" figure is the measured diameter but the tires
deflect where they touch the ground.  To get a more accurate speed, you need
to use the "turns per mile" figure (which is around 870 for those tires), so
only about 112 mph.

As far as safety, yes there is risk in driving an old car at any speed.  But
honestly, I feel safer at 110mph on a deserted desert road, than at 55 mph
in normal traffic.  There are just too many inattentive drivers out there.
Just this morning, I had a Camaro try to run over me; apparently the driver
had forgotten that s/he had turned the wheel when changing lanes at the stop
light, and continued to turn right after the light went green.  Fortunately
I was able to get out of the way, but it was a matter of inches.

-- Randall