[TR] 65 mph

John Wise tr3a.60 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:32:29 MDT 2011

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I'd be interested in  knowing of other owners:  cautious cruising or
spurious speeding???

I have been supersonic a bunch of times.  Of course I did it at 20,000 feet
and as a USAF instructor pilot flying a Northrop T-3A.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_T-38_Talon    Even in the traffic
pattern, final approach speed of a T-38 is between 155 & 175 knots (depending
fuel weight).  And T-38 is just one letter short & one number more than my
"TR-3".

But the T-38 has a redline of 1.52 Mach - so it was actuually rather mundane.
In addition, the T-38 has a four point harness, I was wearing a helmet, and
was sitting on an ejection seat!  :-)

In my LBCs I have generally stayed close to the speed limit.   They have had
no crash protection, no top, no interior padding, a lot of protruding
switches, no shoulder harness, not even an ejection seat.  And my only head
protection is a baseball cap.

Even in the military, discretion is the greater part of valor!

John

John A. Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 Triumph TR3A