[TR] TR2/3 water pump repair.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 10:31:27 MDT 2011

> Wanted to know if it is possible to remove the pump (front portion)
> from the engine with the radiator in place.

Should be, barely.

> Are there seals available for this pump?

TRF has the seal listed, under PN 148322.  But make sure the bearings are
good first as a bad bearing is usually what starts the seal leaking, and the
bearings are unobtanium AFAIK.  Several people have tried sourcing them from
bearing suppliers, etc but they are a long-obsolete size.

Two more suggestions:

1) If you can push the pulley onto the shaft by hand, use Loctite "Circular
Parts Mount" (sorry, don't recall the part number offhand) to hold it in
place.  The nut, washer & key are NOT enough if the pulley is not a press
fit onto the shaft.  The belt tries to pull the pulley downward, and if it
moves at all (even imperceptibly), it will eventually waddle out the bore in
the pulley and break the shaft.  Then most likely ruin the fan & radiator as
well.  (I got lucky, mine just bounced off the electric fan guard.)

2) Unless extremely strict originally is important, I would replace the
captive bolt with a stud & nut.  It will make the next water pump change go
easier, even if you don't use one of the aftermarket pumps that requires the
stud.

-- Randall