[TR] TR4A - Hydraulic Push Rod Advice

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 07:28:50 MDT 2011

Hi List!

"G.D. Huggins" <guy at genfiniti.com> wrote:
> All,
I need some advice
on an annoying issue with the TR4A.
The push-rod for the brake master is
longer than the push-rod for the clutch.
As a result, the brake pedal is
considerably further away from the floor than
the clutch and gas pedals, which
are basically level.
Seems like I should be able to replace the brake push-rod
with a shorter
length (to match the clutch) and be on my merry way. ...
> Has
anyone had this issue?  If so, how did you solve it?

OK, I was working on
my hydraulic system one time & decided to redo both master Cylinders. In the
process of reassembling the units back into my TR4A I had mixed up the push
rods. I noticed that it was hard driving back out the driveway (130') & was
extremely hard to travel down the road (200'). At this point, I got out of my
car to check the brakes.I noticed that the tyres were very warm & went ti feel
the disc. They were very warm, too. I then went to try to feel the calipers,
but found that I could feel extreme amounts of heat as my hand got closer to
them. I quickly & VERY lightly touched one corner to almost burn my finger. I
then reached around the rear tyre to feel the backing plate which was
extremely hot, too. Being about 300' from my garage, I decided to let
everything cool down & tried to push the TR4A backwards with extreme
difficulty. Again waiting a few mins. I then drove the car (120' now) back
into the garage & let everything sit for a
 day while mentally reviewing what I had done to the car. I then checked the
MC's push rods & noticed that I had them switched around. I then switched them
back around & all was working correctly.

push rod in the MC's.
-Cosmo Kramer