[TR] plasma cutters - Any got one worth buying

Doug Hamilton douglasehamilton at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 27 21:01:26 MDT 2011

I have a Hobart Airforce 250ci http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/plasma/airforce250ci/
It has an internal compresor so it's as convenient to use as a sawzall plug it into 120v and go. I've cut copper and steel with it. The cuts are cleaner than any saw I've used, and I've cut 1/4" wall steel pipe with no problem. The duty cycle is a lot lower than bigger machines I've used but to get a significant increase in duty cycle you need a 220v machine and double the money. I got mine for $849.00. Now that I have it wonder why I waited so long to buy one.
One last thought it takes some practice to do really neat cuts with it, but it takes less skill than trying to do neat work with a sawzall or jig saw.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet