[TR] TR6 Hi Torque Starter Install

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Mon Oct 17 16:48:50 MDT 2011

OK, so I prepped the TR6 (Dec. 74) to put it away for the winter and when I
was ready to drive it to the indoor storage location, the starter would not
turn over. I had purchased a new Hi Torque starter while at TRF's Summer Party
and planned to install it next season but it seems now is the time. After
removing the old starter, I was surprised to find only two wires connected to
the old starter (replaced during the previous restoration) - the Positive feed
from the battery and a white with red tracer. I thought there was supposed to
be a white with yellow tracer as well. When I went to install the new starter,
the mounting flange would not mate with the opening. As the starter was
positioned, the attached solenoid pressed up against the engine, preventing
the holes from aligning. The mounting flange is shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithchristr6/6255541266/in/set-7215762791816927
8/

Rotating the flange one hole counter clockwise (about 20 -25 degrees), as
shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithchristr6/6255569408/in/set-7215762791816927
8/
resulted in a position that matched the holes in the flange with the holes on
the transmission housing, but the starter solenoid now blocks the hole in the
flange through which the mounting bolt must pass. The red arrows on the flange
point to the original mounting holes for the flange.

Rotating the flange counter clockwise up to an additional 45 degrees placed
the mounting hole through which the bolt must pass opposite the solenoid and
therefore could not be used. At 45 degrees, the hole in the flange was finally
clear of the solenoid, as shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithchristr6/6255569792/in/set-7215762791816927
8/
but the terminal to which the battery terminal must attach was now up against
the engine block.

I guess the unit could be mounted so that the solenoid is on the bottom side,
but then that terminal connection to the positive battery lead is now on the
top side and any metal object that should ever drop down there is a real risk
of BIG sparks - right below the carbs! What have others done to install this
starter in a TR6? Thanks for your help. Since I am on the digest, replies
directly to me as well as to the list would be greatly appreciated.

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road
London, Ontario
N5X 2K2