[TR] Moving to Massachusetts

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat Oct 15 20:38:50 MDT 2011

On 15 Oct 2011 at 15:30, spamiam at comcast.net wrote:

> What sort of registration options do I have in MA, and what are the
> inspection and renewal requirements?  Is there anything similar to
> the PA b antiqueb  registration?

Welcome in advance to Massachusetts!

I can't speak about antique registration because my cars all have
regular registration.  However the state does have an antique plate
policy and I believe it allows you to drive the car only on weekends
and to special events, or something like that.

Cars with regular plates must be inspected once a year.  For an older
car like yours (and my '80 Spitfire) the inspection does not include
emissions but it does include most safety items.  I don't know if it
requires a catalyst if the car had one originally, but it doesn't
require the air pump and stuff like that.  Frankly, it is less formal
for thinkgs like headlight aiming than I used to go through back in
Virginia before I moved here in '75.

Hope this helps.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com