[TR] Cleaning Carbs

Adrian Jones adrianjones747 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 11 16:43:47 MDT 2011

Hi folks,

You are not going to believe this but, the PO had spray painted the carbs
shiny gray.  For the coup d'elegance, he then painted the brass damper caps
bright red.

Since one of them was leaking fuel all over the place anyway, I dismantled
them and soaked all the parts in a big can of carb cleaner.  I mention this
because this big can came from a regular FLAPS, so it's proper stuff to
clean the carbs, maybe a gallon?

This operation took a week, clean some parts, go to work, come home, clean
some more parts, etc.

Re-assembled with a repair kit.  Now both carbs were leaking.  Ha!  Randall
put me right and said the cork O-rings (they got a funny name, can't recall,
right now) should be soaked in engine oil overnight.

Anyways, that was a decade ago and they have been A-OK since.

So I'd use the proper stuff if I was you.

Cheers!