[TR] modern oil filter tr3 relief valve setting

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 13:40:17 MDT 2011

I think you are misinterpreting, Frank.  The 13 psi is the pressure
differential across the oil filter; meaning the filter has to be pretty
badly clogged before the bypass opens.  Since the TR3 oil pressure gauge is
attached before the filter, this is a Good Thing since otherwise the gauge
might read fine but the bearings would be getting much less pressure.

I'm not sure offhand that the bypass valve in the filter head is set that
high anyway.  ISTR someone wrote that it opened at 8 psi.  If so, the valve
in the filter never opens anyway.

FWIW, earlier TR3s used a bypass type filter anyway, where the filtered oil
was returned to the pan and the galleries were always fed directly from the
pump.  It works well enough unless there is a serious failure.

There are other filters that will fit, but I'm too lazy to look them up just
now.  You need to match the threads, the seal ring diameter, and the
distance from the seal ring surface to the top of the threads.

-- Randall