[TR] TR4A - Ammeter Issue

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Sun Oct 2 20:56:35 MDT 2011

All,

First, I've got about 75 miles on the car since getting it back Thursday.
Sure enjoy driving it.
Took my kids and bride on some rides today, and my bride even enjoyed driving
a bit.

Now for the issue...

I restored the car with Advance Auto Wire's wiring kit (aka Dan Masters wiring
harness) for the TR4A.
I got everything wired up as instructed, and have double-checked everything.
I installed an AC Delco 7127 alternator, but am using the original Ammeter
(rebuilt by Nisonger), with the shunt option that AAW recommends for keeping
the original gauge.

The problem is the Ammeter needle never moves in either direction, and I do
not know how to troubleshoot the gauge.
I want to remove from the dash and test it.  Once I prove it works, I will go
from there.

How does one test an Ammeter outside the car?
If the two wires were improperly placed, would that cause this symptom? (I
would think it would just read the opposite direction.)
I have a ground wire to the body for the bulb.  Would that cause some odd
issue?

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A