[TR] Skirted thermostats

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 13:22:36 MST 2011

> Thanks, TeriAnn, for that important web page. It proves and
> raises my concern.

However, note that TeriAnn was talking about having the bypass fully
blocked.  I agree entirely in that case (although my personal experience has
been that the results are not nearly as violent as she suggests, and I never
cracked a head driving that way).

However, the factory used a partially restricted bypass and no skirt on
later TRactor motors, with apparently good success.

And I will repeat my original point, which is that if you are having
problems with the engine not coming up to temperature; then neither
unblocking the bypass nor adding a skirt to the thermostat is going to help.

The thermostat should be opening within just a few miles of driving, even in
freezing weather.  Back when I drove a TR to work in the snow, the radiator
would be warm (indicating the thermostat was open) by the time I got home
from work.

-- Randall