[TR] Skirted thermostats

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Nov 26 10:04:36 MST 2011

In a message dated 11/26/2011 10:37:44 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3 at roadrunner.com writes:
> >The skirt does nothing until the thermostat opens, and then it only
> >improves
> >cooling (if in fact it does anything at all).
>
> The way I understand it, the manufacturer intended the skirt to
> function as a diverter valve, i.e.:
> 1     prior to the thermostat opening, the coolant by-passes the
> radiator such that it heats up quickly, but still  provide sufficient
> flow to prevent harmful hotspot heating up of the engine.
>   2    When the thermostat starts opening, more coolant is diverted to
> the radiator until (nearly all) the coolant passes through the radiator.
>
> My concern is, that merely permanently restricting the bypass flow is
> likely to be more harmful in the long run during cold winters while
> the thermostat is closed for longer periods and then still reduces the
> flow through the radiator during our hot summers which so easily
> causes overheating in those marginal radiators.
> Hans.

I thihnk Randall's point is that skirt or no skirt, if your car is not
reaching operating temperature the thermostat is either stuck open or opening
too soon.  Try a $5 autoparts store thermostat and see how that works.

The skirt only helps if you have overheating problems.

Dave