[TR] Any advice on mounting and refurbishment of hard top - TR4 TR6?

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Nov 19 07:51:16 MST 2011

In a message dated 11/19/2011 7:50:53 AM Central Standard Time,
ccsimonsen at gmail.com writes:
> 1.  Any idea of the name of the manufacturer? Anyone got an old manual
> with
> mounting instructions?

Nope.  Maybe it was Perfect Plastics (?) in PA.

> 2. Source for rubber seals or hardware.

If you can figure out who made it check with them.  Else check the J C
Whitney catalog and see if you can match the profile.

> 3. There is no number 3.

Dang!  That's the only one I can answer.

> 4. Thinking of stripping the vinyl and using truckbed liner spray on the
> top.  I've seen an aftermarket surrey top with this type of cover and it
> looked pretty good - and with taking it on and off seems like a durable
> way
> to go. Any other opinions or options here?

Either that or black chipguard, available at your local autopaint store.
But getting a consistent texture may be tricky so practice on something
disposable.

> 5. Any one ever thought of converting one of these tops to a surrey top?
> Did they have any luck?  I'm an old boat repair guy and years ago did
> quite
> a few cosmetic and structural fiberglass repairs to boats. Or would be a
> shame to wreck this top...

In a perfect world you can find one that has been damaged in the front
portion.

> 6. Can it work with both TR4 or TR6 - can they share the same top (at
> different times :)) or does the top have to be configured for specifically
> one model.

The rear scuttle has a slightly different contour but if the seal is
generous enough it should seal up just the same.  Try it and let us know.

Congrats.

Dave